Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Go Big or Go Home: The Electrolyte Edition

Summer training has been going MUCH better this year than last. As in, I can literally hold paces 2-3 minutes per mile faster while running.

Sure, some of that is improved run fitness (hello, 3:47 marathon, and no, I don't plan to shut up about that, well, ever). But a good part of it is improved hydration. While last summer, I often found myself dizzy and slammed with a headache during long training sessions, that's not the case this year. The previously suspected culprit was lack of calories, but through trial and error, I realized it was more likely dehydration due to insufficient salt and water intake.

And though I am diligent about taking in the proper amount of water and salt during racing and training, I sometimes went into sessions in a deficit due to all the water and salt I lost just plain walking around in hot weather. I finally started taking in extra water and extra salt ALL DAY LONG and am pretty sure that is part of what has helped me perform better in extremely hot and humid conditions.

This increased consumption meant that I found myself down to only three tubes of Nuun last week, and was terrified of running out in a matter of days (OK, fine, hours). I picked up a temporary holdover supply at my neighborhood running store, and put in an order for enough to get me through the next few weeks of hot weather.

Just in case you ever wondered what almost $200 worth of Nuun looks like, see above.

Time to go sweat out a few tabs worth of Nuun!

10 comments:

  1. I've had similar experiences with training in the heat -last summer I had problems with collapsing/fainting when I was running in hotter conditions. Luckily it didn't happen during a race, but I had a lot of passing out issues during training (still got the knee scrapes...). Part of it was because I was stubborn and wouldn't slow down, but also I was generally dehydrated/electrolytes out of whack before I even started the run.

    I drink something similar to Nuun religiously and it's helped a lot. Personally I can't choke down any Nuun flavours (they all make me feel really sick) so I use these: http://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/zero

    I love the grapefruit flavour :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you found something that works for you - I hate to think of you passing out while running.

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love the Nuun. What are your favorite flavors these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit punch and grape are my standbys, but recently discovered WATERMELON.

      Delete
    2. Concur on the grape. And the only fruit punch flavor that I don't abhor is the Nuun. So I'm running to the Nuun page RIGHT NOW to order watermelon.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to try Nuun... guess I should get on board and go buy some huh? I need something other than water- I get tired of it and I don't care for gatorade. I love that you bought a huge box of it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a bad endurance athlete--I've never tried Nuun. Everyone seems to absolutely love it, though. Wanna send me a tube? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh ha, I'm gonna try that this weekend! I'm brand new to this tri game, addicted after my first one last month :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah - I learned that when i double the skratch product (or have it be at full strength) I cramp up a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, i just picked up some watermelon! this is a very interesting... should try to think about this a bit more!

    ReplyDelete