Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pecan Pie Energy Balls

With several North American Ironman races coming up between now and mid-September, it's officially long ride season. Last Saturday, I was out for 60 miles, the Saturday before, 70 miles. And this Saturday, I'm looking at about 85 or so.

Followed by a good hour of running, of course.

Of course, I'm not the only one, and in fact, I know that many will be biking and running far, far longer than I will be. And with this comes the need to stash easy-to-eat foods in a bike jersey for 4+ hour efforts.

Time for more energy balls - this time Pecan Pie Energy Balls.

Date-based, with pecans added in. Simple.

Pecan Pie Energy Balls
1 pound pitted dates
8 ounces pecans
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt

Run pecans through a food processor until finely chopped, then toast in a pan over low heat for 5-6 minutes, or until fragrant.

Run pitted dates through food processor until a paste forms, then add pecans, vanilla, and salt until a uniform mixture forms. 

Roll into 1/2" diameter balls.

Then stash a baggie full of them in your bike jersey at some early hour on Saturday morning before you hit the road for most of the day.


  1. Wow do those look good! I don't do enough long runs/cycles to use them on my training but they look (and probably taste) awesome!

  2. I will have to steal some of these to try next time I see you. Sure is better than stashing Swedish fish in your jersey.

  3. These sound delicious and super easy. Definitely going to give them a shot!