Thursday, July 5, 2012

Pecan Pie Energy Balls

With several North American Ironman races coming up between now and mid-September, it's officially long ride season. Last Saturday, I was out for 60 miles, the Saturday before, 70 miles. And this Saturday, I'm looking at about 85 or so.


Followed by a good hour of running, of course.


Of course, I'm not the only one, and in fact, I know that many will be biking and running far, far longer than I will be. And with this comes the need to stash easy-to-eat foods in a bike jersey for 4+ hour efforts.


Time for more energy balls - this time Pecan Pie Energy Balls.




Date-based, with pecans added in. Simple.




Pecan Pie Energy Balls
1 pound pitted dates
8 ounces pecans
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt


Run pecans through a food processor until finely chopped, then toast in a pan over low heat for 5-6 minutes, or until fragrant.




Run pitted dates through food processor until a paste forms, then add pecans, vanilla, and salt until a uniform mixture forms. 


Roll into 1/2" diameter balls.



Then stash a baggie full of them in your bike jersey at some early hour on Saturday morning before you hit the road for most of the day.

3 comments:

  1. Wow do those look good! I don't do enough long runs/cycles to use them on my training but they look (and probably taste) awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to steal some of these to try next time I see you. Sure is better than stashing Swedish fish in your jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious and super easy. Definitely going to give them a shot!

    ReplyDelete